We are a Bethesda based program that in 2012 had over 200 kids from 52 different schools covering 23 zip codes in only our 6th year. BSF participates in the Rockville Football League (RFL). To learn more about our program and the league we participate in, please see the links to the left.
Welcome to the Official Site for Blessed Sacrament Football (BSF) Dawgs
Critical Dates and Info:
- 2013 Registrations!
- PLAYER REGISTRATION: While we are full at PW and Intermediate...we still have some slots open at Pony (9 and 10 year olds) and Anklebiter (7 and 8 year olds). To register go to www.rfl.cc. When registering...be sure to type "Dawgs" or "Blessed Sacrament" in the space provided for your team preference. In doing that, you will be placed on our BSF rosters.
- NEW LEAGUE REGISTRATION RULE!!!: We are happy to announce that starting this year the RFL is allowing all new players to the league to register with the RFL of their choice no matter where they live. In past years, a large block of kids were not allowed to play for BSF based on where they lived as certain zip codes were prohibited from playing for BSF. But this year, no matter where you live...you are allowed to register at www.RFL.cc and select BSF as your team choice. As long a one of our 60 spots per division is availble, you will be placed with our orgnaization. Feel free to contact Bret Strachan (email is at the very bottom of this page) if you have any questions.
- REGISTRATION FEES: You will pay $185 to the league when you register. Then when you pick up equipment you need to pay $40 to BSF to help cover costs such as equipment, practice field rentals, insurance, etc.
- 2012 was our 6th year and it was a landmark year for BSF! The RFL has 7 Super Bowl titles in play and in 2012...BSF won 5 of the 7 titles including its first Intermediate Navy Super Bowl win. Congratulations to the following teams on their Super Bowl winning seasons:
- Intermediate Navy
- Intermdiate Army Gold
- Pony Navy
- Pony Army Blue
- Anklebiter Gold
Other Important Dates:
- Equipment Distribution
- Dates: Now that the season has started and we are well into it...we only have a limited number of stragglers that don't have equipment. We should have enough shoulder pads and helmets on the field to fit these kids so we are not going to have volunteers at the storage location anymore. We should be able to handle equipment from the field now.
- You must bring a check made out to Blessed Sacrament football for $40 to recieve equipment. This is NOT a deposit. We will cash these checks as they are our operating fund for this year. We need to order more game pants and we always have to order more helmets. Plus there are other costs like field permits, insurance, etc. etc. Last year the total fee to play at the RFL website was $230. This year the RFL website fee was $185 but we need to collect a $40 check which makes the total cost per player $225 for this year.
- Location: 8401 Connecticut Avenue, Chevy Chase, Maryland 20815 (equipment is stored on the lower level where the Tavaria Restaurant is. Just follow the signs for Tavaria and you will find the equipment location) THE STORAGE IS CLOSED NOW...GET EQUIPMENT ON THE FIELD.
- This year BSF will only be distributing ONLY the following equipment pieces at each distribution: 1.) helmet, 2.) shoulder pads. (game pants, game jersey and practice jersey will be given out at practice)
- Parents will be responsible for providing their own practice pants and pads for the pants (these pads will need to be used in both practices and games). Here are the two options we recommend for your practice pants and lower body pads:
- Option A: You buy an integrated “girdle”. All the major sporting goods stores sell them (Dick’s, Sports Authority, Modell’s, etc). Basically, the girdle holds the required hip, butt and thigh pads. The player simply pulls the girdle on and then he pulls the practice pants over the girdle (if you don’t already own practice pants...then you have to buy those too). The Youth girdles are around $40. The pads are permanently stitched in so you never have to worry about losing pads…and you just throw the whole thing in the wash to clean them. So, most girdles I have seen DO NOT HAVE knee pads in them...so you must buy 2 knee pads separately. Football practice pants (and game pants) have a pocket that will hold the knee pads. So, if you buy a girdle with NO knee pads…be sure to buy a pair of knee pads too. I think they may be making some girdles now WITH knee pads but that may just be in adult sizes. In any even…make sure you have knee pads. Lastly...if you buy the girdle, you will also need to buy a pair of practice pants to pull over the girdle (unless you already own a pair of football practice pants).
- Option B: They also sell at Dicks, Sports Authority, Modells, etc...integrated practice pants. That means they sell football practice pants with ALL the pads permanently stitched in. So in this case, you buy one thing and you have the pants, hip pads, butt pad, thigh pads AND THE KNEE pads. You get it all in one shot. Sounds good right...but there is a catch. The pads DO NOT come out of the practice pants and go in the game pants. So, what I have seen some kids do is they just pull their yellow game pants (with no pads in them) over the practice pants that do have pads in them. So, that is certainly an option. The game pants will certainly be snug and it will be a bit hotter on those hot game days (but also warmer on the cold days). So, that is your second option.
- 2013 Season Details:
- 2013 Practice will start on August 5th
- For the first 3 weeks of August practice we practice 4 days per week (Mon. to Thurs.) from 6:00 to 8:00. Starting the week of August 26th we reduce to 2 practices per week (Tues. and Thrus.)
- All practices are at Norwood Park in Chevy Chase (4700 Norwood Drive)
- See our FAQ link to the left for all the important details for the 2013 season.
Contact Info:General Questions:
Bret Strachan email@example.com
2013 coaches will be solidified in this summer